Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy 25th Anniversary, WTSDA!



25 years ago, The World Tang Soo Do Association held its Charter Convention. On this date, Masters and Black belts from across the US and World decided to form this new Association with Grandmaster Jae Chul Shin as their leader. They also established a new belt system, added 3 new hyung, and set the tone for the future progress of the art.

I have only been a part of the Association for just under 10 years, so I'm always fascinated to learn about the history and development of our art and Association. I think it would have been a very interesting and exciting time to be present for that weekend.

That's why I was extremely happy to receive in the mail a copy of the 25th anniversary DVD produced by the WTSDA. The DVD contains a great deal of history, archival footage, interviews with Charter members and gives a great summation of what the Association has done over the last 25 years.

Just in my brief time, I've seen a number of successful programs created: Ki Gong curriculum, Children's programs, Humanitarian Efforts, and a good deal of effort to introduce a sword curriculum, which is still in progress. When I look at the different directions some of our Master's are taking the art, I look forward what will be created and passed on over the next 25 years.
Post a Comment