Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More on push-ups

Today was #43. It's been a glum weekend here in Columbus, with my Buckeyes losing and dealing with a cold. It was the perfect weekend to let the goal go by the wayside, actually. This morning I was still feeling pretty weak, and after doing my workout, my arms were just limp and jellylike.

This morning, I read an interesting article by Charles Linster that was very inspirational. Linster set a record in the 1960s for the most non-stop pushups, when he performed 6,006. You can read his story here.


Most interesting to me is how on "good" days he could manage to add well over 100 to his previous attempt. That's within the course of a week or two. It makes me stop and think about how 2 things.

1. Pushups aren't necessarily a function of strength, but endurance. In a way, it's a lot like running. There were days in cross country where I could run 15 miles and days where just a quick 3 mile loop felt unattainable. A lot of it is just setting a mental goal and working towards it, moving beyond fatigue and testing your limits.

2. A goal is nothing more than a base. Once you reach your goal, there is always a higher summit in the distance. 6000 pushups is mind boggling to me. Here I am, 43% of the way to my goal, only to see that I'm not even at 1% of this man's output! It is humbling and inspiring at the same time. At the same time, I can already look forward to being able to do handstand pushups, or even planches.
Post a Comment