Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thud in the Mud.

In my last post, you'll recall I mentioned how dorm demos have a certain amount of peril to them, as the marketing is placed in the hands of the host. Last night, we had a rather unorganized host, and no one was really coming to the demo. After some frustration, I just started holding class right there in the hallway. Interestingly enough, if you get 10 people kihap-ing enough, it starts to generate some interest in the building as people slowly peek out of their rooms to see what the heck is going on.

Afterwards, I was on a roll, and since it was a surprisingly warm January night, I took the students for an outdoor class. It was in the 40s, but it was not exactly dry. In fact, it was downright muddy, and we made it more so.

Since two students were late lining up, we HAD to do crunches in the mud. And since someone forgot to say "Yes SIR" upon being told to get up, the entire exercise was invalid and HAD to be repeated.

After that, a few minutes of practicing arm bars and take downs. Gotta make sure we can control the person all the way to the ground, right?

It was pretty fun, even though I didn't get to do much. Well, I HAD to demonstrate the proper technique a few times.

The only tragedy was that there were no pictures.

It made me think that perhaps I'm missing out on a key marketing opportunity. Maybe each winter quarter, I should find a muddy evening to take everyone outdoors for class. We could call it "The Thud in the Mud."

At a school where hundreds of students jump into a lake in November, it might just work.
Post a Comment