Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Have a sense of humor about what you do.

4 nights a week, I dress up in pajamas, walk around barefoot in a rec center, and punch at the air and scream with a group of similarly clad individuals who not only do this activity with me, but see me as their leader. We seriously state the 7 tenets of training and 5 codes of Tang Soo Do in a serious opening and closing ceremony. We then spend two hours butchering the Korean language and generally flailing about in some sort of imitation of what we've seen in the movies and TV.

How is this not the funniest thing in the world?

Recently, I was directed to a clip for an upcoming movie entitled "The Foot Fist Way." It's a low budget satire about the martial arts, specifically about a fictional Tae Kwon Do school.

Here's a "commercial" for their school as part of their viral marketing (quasi NSFW):



To be completely honest, I laughed myself silly the first time I watched this and the trailer. But I can sense that a LOT of people are going to be really upset with this movie, especially commercial studio owners who may be a little insecure about themselves.

A lot of things in that clip hit really close to home for a LOT of people. I know sometimes I feel like a hypocrite for being lazy and out of shape while teaching a class that revolves around mental and physical endurance and spirit. There's a little bit of this school in all of our schools (and if you don't see it, you're probably not going to like this movie anyway.) That's what makes good satire though. I know other movies in the past (Shaolin Soccer, Kentucky Fried Movie) have made fun of martial arts training, but this one could approach the Spinal Tap treatment for martial arts.

Honestly, you should be able to laugh a little bit at what you're doing, lest you take yourself too seriously. It gives a little perspective, and doesn't take away from the fact that you are indeed doing something positive for yourself and your students.
Post a Comment