Monday, June 2, 2008

2 birds, 1 stone

In my previous post, I discussed my love/hate relationship with YouTube and its proof of the decline of western civilization. I received some encouragement to go ahead and post a few videos, so I thought I'd make a noble attempt to put 1-2 videos up a month and use them to further my talking points.

Here's a video of me practicing E Sip Sa Bo, aka Nijushiho.



If you recall my previous posts on this form, it is not a commonly taught hyung in Tang Soo Do. In the WTSDA requirements, it doesn't exist. In a nutshell, my goal was to take a form that is well documented in Shotokan, and attempt to apply principles of Tang Soo Do.

Needless to say, I'm still working on it. The double palm strike at the end feels very weak, and I'm not satisfied with the front leg side kick into reverse punch combination either. However, I feel pretty stable (despite the horrid slipping mats) and I can really feel some power behind some of the motions. I'm certainly not ready to compare mine to that of Asai, and I'm sure my rendition would leave more than one Shotokan, or Tang Soo Do, student scratching their heads.

In a few weeks, I'll post an update, and we'll see how I've come along, if at all.

How do I feel about using YouTube? I'm still not 100% comfortable with it, but I suppose it's not that different than performing a form in public, which I've done plenty of times. The scale of the audience is larger, but I'll never meet 99.999% of the people who watch it anyhoo.
Post a Comment