Tuesday, June 24, 2008

More thoughts on E Sip Sa Bo

A few weeks ago, I posted my demonstration of Esipsabo on Youtube. It has been viewed a fair number of times, and I did receive a good piece of feedback. Someone asked me why I had omitted the Sanchin stance.

An excellent illustration of Sanchin Dachi from KeithGeyerKarate.com

The truth is pretty simple: I don't know anything about the Sanchin stance. I have a rough idea of where the feet should be, but aside from that pigeon-toed look, I'm completely ignorant of the stance. It is simply not taught in my flavor of Tang Soo Do. I have a few people I can ask, but until I see them, I'll just be doing a shorter front stance. To me, that currently feels more appropriate, as my performance currently represents my understanding (or lack thereof) of the form.

There seems to be a lot of variation out there, and to be honest, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the differences are because of aesthetics or because of a biomechanical advantage. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the stance had changed in some groups to conform what a set of tournament judges preferred.

I'm curious if the White crane folks (from which Sanchin is derived) use the pigeon-toe stance?

This is fun for me, and it's one of the benefits of trying out this form. Obviously I don't know everything, and I have to ask questions, do some research and experiment. In the end, I will have learned more than a "cool form" but also a little bit about some other arts, mechanics, stances and more.
Post a Comment