Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pool Noodles


A few weeks ago, as it started getting warmer, I noticed that the grocery store had pool noodles in their display. I was reminded of a clinic I attended where a Master had used them during sparring drills. I bought out the store's stock and took them to class the next week.

Gave each instructor a pool noodle and instructed them to "have fun."

  • great for blocking drills. swing the noodle at the student, and they block safely.
  • same for practicing jumping, ducking, dodging, sidestepping. start with this, and have them follow up the maneuver with a counter attack.
  • give them a fun target for stretch kicking.
  • use the tip for targeting to improve accuracy
  • lightly whack an inattentive student in the head from a distance.
  • chase younger kids around the dojang to warm them up.
  • cut the noodles into 2 foot sections, give each student a small noodle and practice partner blocking drills.
  • kids practice standing on one foot. you walk around with the noodle and poke them in the chest to get them to fall over.
  • wiggle the noodle up/down or side to side and have the student kick it while in motion.


If I have them do 50 high blocks, they will die of boredom. Give all of the instructors a noodle, and they will get through 50 blocks and be excited at the end.

I know I'm not the only one who uses these things. I would love to hear from anyone else who has some ideas to try. When the weather gets hot (no AC in our dojang) I need to keep things moving! :)
Post a Comment